Thursday, July 7, 2011

Shrimp and Avocado Ceviche

My group of friends recently went to Kansas City, where Micah and I force fed ourselves one amazing meal after the next. Delicious though the trip was, it forced me to see how different my eating habits have become. My pants have been fitting a little too tightly and I'm also worried that the people around me are going to begin think I'm hiding a pregnancy or something... How embarassing.



That having been said, I put Micah and I on a diet. We get one cheat night a week (which is why we are having friends over tonight for grilled pizza), but otherwise, we are no-carb, lots of lean protein, lots of fruits and veggie kind of eaters. Which has been good because I've lost weight and I've been forced to branch out of my cooking comfort zone.

I had never made ceviche before, because it always freaked me out that you prepare the seafood with nothing but the acidity of some limes, but it actually worked. And we didn't get food poisoning.

Shrimp and Avocado Ceviche

1lb frozen shrimp, thawed, peeled, deveined
1/2- 3/4 cup of lime juice- enough to cover shrimp
1 roma tomato, diced
1/2 of a purple onion, diced
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, diced with or without seeds
1 avocado, diced
1 tbsp of worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp of hot sauce
Salt and Pepper to taste

Place shrimp in a medium bowl and cover completely with lime juice. Let shrimp set for at least one hour in the refrigerator, stirring occasionally. Be sure that the acid has fully prepared the shrimp before eating. Cut into a few bigger piece to be completely sure. Combine the remaining ingredients. Enjoy immediately.

2 comments:

  1. This looks and sounds delish.

    But there isn't any avocado.

    Thus, I will add avocado and enjoy immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm so trying this! yum! hey, we should all start a paleo label for our recipes... ;)

    ReplyDelete