Sunday, January 31, 2010

Breakfast Tacos for a Crowd

This is Emily again. Last Sunday, I made Breakfast Tacos for lunch. I did make enough taco filling for a larger party, but they re-heat so well, I knew they would come in handy during the week for a balanced meal on the go. I got this recipe when I spent the Summer of 2008 working at an orphanage in Mexico. I mostly helped out in the kitchen with the meals for the kids living there and the different youth groups and such that came through on Mission trips.Everything that I learned about Mexican cooking, I attribute to the wonderful women I worked with. The food made for the youth groups and for the kids was sometimes different, but Breakfast tacos were always made for all. Opalo (the head cook) would come in and just work her magic, while I usually cracked eggs or sliced onions for her. I put my own twist on the tacos, but I think that I would have made her proud last week. This recipe can be modified in anyway to accommodate different groups.

Breakfast Tacos for a Crowd
Taco filling
1 lb. breakfast sausage (medium or spicy)
1/2 finely diced medium yellow onion
1/2 peeled diced potato
1 dozen eggs
1/4 c. black beans

Warmed flour tortillas
Shredded Cheddar Cheese (jack, pepper jack, queso blanco may also be used)
Sour cream (optional)
Salsa (optional)

Begin the process by browning the sausage in a non-stick, large skillet on medium heat. Break the sausage apart into smaller pieces in the skillet using a wooden spoon. When the sausage is browning up nicely, add the diced onions and potatoes to the sausage so that all these ingredients can cook together.

Next crack all 12 eggs into a large glass bowl. Add a dash a salt and a few clicks of pepper from the small pepper mill. Use a wire whisk, break the yokes with the whisk and whisk the eggs.

When the sausage is completely browned, pour the egg mixture over the sausage mixture and stir the two mixtures together. Next, sprinkle the small amount of black beans. They go such a long way!! There is no walking away during this process. This filling mixture needs to be watched. The eggs can burn so quickly, so it's important to watch the skillet and constantly stir the filling until the eggs are completely cooked through.

When the potatoes can be cut complete through, they are ready.

Since everyone is so different, fill the tortillas with as much filling as you'd like. Top filling with cheese, sour cream and salsa.

One thing that I just love about these tacos is that they can be customized to accommodate each group and person. If you have any kind of peppers on hand, add them the same time as the onions. Use any type of cheese, crema or salsa too.

The only thing that cannot be compromised is the use of FLOUR TORTILLAS. Corn tortillas are delicious, but they are too thin and flimsy for these tacos. Other than that, prepare the tacos to your liking and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment