Friday, January 29, 2010

Thick and Chewy Chocolate Cookies

Well it seems like the last time that I posted I failed to talk about some of why I like to cook. For me, it started at home. My Mom, Dad, and twin brothers all like to cook, and this has been something we have done together ever since I can remember. When we get together, we are all in the kitchen creating something. My dad is grilling something, Christopher is making baked beans, Jonathan is chopping jalepeno’s, Mom at the sink peeling potatoes, and I am stirring the pot. :)

Another thing about me and cooking:

As a young child, when I would awake on a Saturday morning, I would turn on the TV with my brothers, and we would watch the Frugal Gourmet on PBS. I do not remember watching many cartoons as a child, but I do remember watching that cooking show. It doesn't seem like something a 6 year old would enjoy, but I did!

Here is a little glimpse of what it was like.

That transpired into watching another PBS food show: America’s Test Kitchen. Test Kitchen has many cookbooks as well, and my favorite one thus far is the one I received this year for Christmas:

Now for the Recipe.

Thick and Chewy Chocolate Cookies: adapted from: The Complete America's Test Kitchen TV Show Cookbook

Ingredients:

2 Cups plus 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon tablesalt

12 tablespoons butter (melted and cooled)

1 cup packed brown sugar

1 egg

1 egg yolk

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

Directions

-Set oven to 325 degrees

-stir together flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl

-In a seperate bowl, beat together with a mixer butter and sugars for about a minute, then add egg and egg yolk, and vanilla

-Add wet and dry ingredients together and mix until all combined.

-Mix in chocolate chips

*Marie's Mods*

-According to this recipe, you are supposed to have each of the cookies be about a 1/2 cup of batter, for me, this was a little much for one cookie. Instead, I would suggest shaping the dough into small dome shapes, about 1/3 cup. Because of this, the time in the oven isn't going to be as long.

-Bake for 6 minutes at 325 degrees, then rotate the pan and bake for another 6 minutes, or until golden on top.

Tip: When storing cookies/brownies/etc... places them in an air tight container with slice of bread. It keeps them fresh!




2 comments:

  1. Great post, Marie! Thanks for introducing ATK to the ol' blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ummmmm we are friends for SOO many reasons. and this post just affirms it! i wish i knew 6 year old marie :) love you!

    ReplyDelete