Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Green Curry




Thanks for stopping by today! I'm Marie, and for my first entry, I am going to share with you one of my recent favorites. I’ve eaten green curry only at restaurants up to the point of this recipe, but the last time that I ordered it at Thai Palace II I decided that it was time to bring this flavor explosion to my own kitchen! Since I have made other types of curry before I knew this would not be too difficult, but one thing to keep in mind is to get the proper ingredients.

For this particular green curry, some of the ingredients may seem like they would be difficult to find, but I usually have success by going to one of my favorite grocery stores in the city: Buy 4 Less on Portland and Northwest Expressway. There are So many options here. This international aisle in itself has such an array of things, it’s sometimes hard to focus!

This is what you want to look for:

Green Curry Paste:

Bamboo Shoots:

Coconut Milk:

Okay, as for the source of this delicious recipe.. it is from recipezaar.com. This website is a database of recipes that anyone can add to. When I search for a recipe, I like to filter the search and look for the recipes with the most 5 star ratings. (just click on the ratings tab).

Here is the recipe!

Ingredients

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

2 shallots, minced

1 inch piece gingerroot, minced

1-2 tablespoon thai green curry paste

1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth

2 cups sliced cooked chicken or cooked beef or cooked pork

1 (16 ounce) can coconut milk

1 (8 ounce) can sliced bamboo shoots, drained

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup shredded basil leaves

lime wedge

Directions

1. Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat; add shallots and ginger. Stir-fry until fragrant, about 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium; stir in curry paste. Stir in chicken broth; cook until broth is reduced by half, about 10 minutes.

2. Stir in chicken, coconut milk, bamboo shoots and salt; heat to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes. Stir in basil.

3. Serve in bowls over steamed rice or noodles with lime wedges on the side for squeezing over.


Final Product!


I copied this recipe from the website here:


Marie’s Mod’s:

*You can always add whatever vegetables you have on hand. I added bell peppers and onions.

*Jasmine Rice was my starch of choice

Speaking of onions…. Shout out to Miss Annie Davis. She looooveees to chop onions! It is definitely not my favorite kitchen task, so whenever I cook with her, she is the designated chopper! If it wasn’t for her, I don’t know how much I would cook with them… Thanks Annie!

1 comment: