Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Apple Crostata

Mmmmmmm!
The other night I had a bunch of friends over. I had some apples in the fridge and some flour in the cupboard so I decided to try an impromptu Apple Crostata. I know. I sound pretentious. Like the Barefoot Contessa. I'd been meaning to try it though, and I just thought the setting was right for it.

I was first introduced to apple crostada at Coffee Slingers (who get's their pastries at Praire Thunder Bakery). Apple crostata is best described as a little pocket of apple pie only it's better, because it's sweet and cinnamony and the crust is so tender and buttery. The crostata Praire Thunder makes are "personal sized" which are accessible and nice in their own way. The evening I made mine, I just felt like we all needed to share a huge crostata together.

First make the outside pie dough. Combine in a food processor:
1 cup all purpose flour
2 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 stick of cold, cold butter
Process ingredients together until the contents look like clumpy sand. Add 3 tbsp of cold water and combine until dough is formed. Form dough into a disk and wrap in saran wrap. Refrigerator until it is chilled well.

Peel, core and chop 3 large or 6 small apples. I don't care what kind you use. I had granny smith in the fridge and they were excellent.
Next, roll out you pie dough. I just made mine into a huge circle. Here are two terrible pictures of the dough rolling process for you to reference.

Place the chopped apple pieces in the middle of the dough, leaving about an inch and a half border. Make your crostata filling by combining:

1/4 cup of flour
1/4 cup of sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice

Sprinkle this mixture on top of the apples. Or you could always toss the apples into the dry ingredients. Fold the edges of the dough over the apples and filling to make a "pocket". I pinched off the areas where the dough overlapped. Thinnly slice a tbsp of butter and place slices in over the crostata.

Bake on 450 degree Farenheit for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. You can let it cool, but it's better if you enjoy it hot off the pan like we did.

2 comments:

  1. This apple crostata was AmAzing. So yummy for my tummy :) I'm so thankful to live with such a great cook! I get to reap the benefits fo sho

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmmm i want me some right now........!

    ReplyDelete